Google for SENIORS
Studio Visual Steps
ISBN: 978 90 5905 236 9
Book type: Paperback
Number of pages: 320
Table of contents - PDF file
Sample chapter - PDF file
(This title is no longer available.)
Get Acquainted with free Google applications
For most people what comes to mind when they hear the word "Google" is that it's something they use to search the web. In recent years, the Google company has produced many other useful applications besides its popular search engine. These applications are all free to download and install. The computer book Google for SENIORS guides you through some of the most popular Google products. Google Search not only makes it easy to find something on the Internet, but you can also use it to search your own computer as well. With Google Earth you can check out your vacation destination in advance from a bird's eye view and with Google Maps you can plan your route to it.
Other topics explained in this step-by-step book include learning how to create an agenda that can be managed and consulted online. Participate in discussions about subjects you choose or create in Google Discussion groups. Chat and make phone calls free of charge with Google Talk. Publish an online diary or a travel journal with Blogger and create a simple website with Google Sites.
Google also offers a simple word processor that allows you to save your documents online and lets you view and check them from any computer that is connected to the internet. For translating text you can get a good start with Google Translate. And last but not least this book will acquaint you with the popular photo editing program Picasa, a tool that allows you to manage your photos, create web albums and share them with other people.
Topics covered in this book:
- get more out of Google Search
- see the world or plan a trip with Google Maps and Google Earth
- send, receive and manage your e-mail with Gmail
- surf the web with Google Chrome
- create and manage an agenda or a discussion group
- call or chat with Google Talk
- create a blog
- work with Google Docs
- translate text with Google Translate
- upload your video to YouTube
- create a simple website
- manage and share your photos with Picasa
- Windows 7 / Windows Vista
- The Google programs require a high-speed Internet connection (DSL or cable).
The screenshots in this book were taken from a computer running Windows 7. The Google programs will work pretty much the same way on a computer running Windows Vista.
What readers are saying about Google for SENIORS
Ongoing recommendation for any collection catering to seniors who want to get a handle on new technology is Google for Seniors: Get Acquainted with Free Google Applications: Google Earth, Maps, Reader, Docs, Sites, Chrome, a guide packed with large-size, clear screenshots in color, larger-size print, and easy step-by-step directions that assume no prior computer savvy on the part of seniors. From building a free website to web browsing, sharing albums and using various options available through Google, GOOGLE FOR SENIORS provides a specific set of introductions seniors will find easy to comprehend.
- "The Bookwatch" November 2012, archived at The Midwest Book Review
Google for SENIORS is written using the acclaimed Visual Steps method. This method features the following:
- Content - the special needs and requirements of the beginning user with little or no technical background have been taken into account.
- Structure - self-paced, learn as you go. Proceed step by step with easy to follow instructions. What's more, the chapters are organized in such a way that you can skip a chapter or repeat another as desired.
- Illustrations - plentiful use of
screen illustrations to show you if you are on the right track.
- Layout - large sized book and large
print make it easy to read.
The Studio Visual Steps Authors
The Studio Visual Steps team of authors consists of different professionals, all thoroughly experienced in their subject field.