Interesting Online Applications for SENIORS
Studio Visual Steps
ISBN: 978 90 5905 285 7
Book type: Paperback
Number of pages: 392
Table of contents - PDF file
Sample chapter - PDF file
(This title is no longer available.)
Get acquainted with some of the most popular free online applications
The World Wide Web (WWW) has rapidly become a treasure trove of free online tools and applications that allow better communication with friends and family and give the opportunity to enjoy many other fun and useful activities. The computer book Interesting Online Applications for Seniors teaches you how to use popular online applications such as
Facebook, YouTube and Google Maps.
Today you can view almost every spot on the globe with the amazingly sharp satellite imagery of Google Earth. Or create your own blog or journal about any subject that interests you with Blogger. Other very popular applications include eBay where you can buy and sell just about anything you want and Facebook – the website where you can create your own personal webpage. Invite all your friends to view your latest vacation pictures or family event in your online photo album created with MyPhotoAlbum. This book introduces you to thirteen of the most popular online applications.
Use the learn as-you-go computer book right alongside your computer as you perform the tasks laid out in each chapter.
Some of the applications covered include:
YouTube - a video sharing website where users can upload, view and share video clips.
Facebook - a social networking website, a great way to meet friends and keep up on what they are doing.
Blogger - Google's free tool for creating blogs. Blogs, short for weblogs, are a form of online journal.
Google Earth - put a planet's worth of geographic information right on your desktop.
Google Maps - provides directions, interactive maps, and satellite/aerial imagery.
Windows Live Messenger - a communication application that allows text based discussions from your desktop.
Skype - VoIP software for making free calls over the internet to anyone else who has Skype. VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) is the technology for transmitting voice, such as ordinary telephone calls, over a data network using IP (Internet Protocol).
You will learn how to:
- explore the world with Google Earth
- plan a trip with Google Maps
- make free long distance phone calls with Skype
- get the news you want quickly and easily with RSS Feeds
- buy and sell your goods with eBay
- create your own blog with Blogger
- make new friends with Facebook
- use e-mail worldwide with Windows Live Hotmail
- chat with Windows Live Messenger
- put your digital photos into a web album with MyPhotoAlbum
- put your videos online with YouTube
- Windows Live Spaces: your own personal space on the Internet
- useful online reference sites
This book is suitable for:
- Windows 7 / Windows Vista
- High-speed Internet access (DSL or cable) is desirable
Basic computer skills
You can acquire these basic skills by working through the following book:
What readers are saying about Interesting Online Applications for SENIORS
This is the newest addition to Studio Visual Steps’ series of “Computer Books for Seniors.” It is structured and written in the standardized Studio Visual Steps style, giving it a familiar feel for those who have used previous books in the series. The font type and size, however, are better for seniors, while each chapter follows a structured step-by-step format with labeled graphics. This title does assume the reader already has a good grasp of computers and the Internet. The list of “Thirteen Online Applications” includes only a few actual applications, the rest being popular websites or tools: Google Maps, Google Earth, Skype, RSS feeds, eBay, blogging (with Blogger), Facebook, Windows Live Hotmail, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Spaces, YouTube, MyPhotoAlbum, and Wikipedia. This book fills a noticeable gap in available books for computer-savvy seniors; recommended for all public libraries, especially those that serve a senior population.
- Carol Bean, Palm Beach County Library System
As a late comer to the world of computers I find this range of self help books easy and informative, well illustrated and up to date.
- Mr. J. A. Bentley
Interesting Online Applications for SENIORS is written using the acclaimed Visual Steps method. This method features the following:
- Content - the special needs and requirements of the beginning user with little or no technical background have been taken into account.
- Structure - self-paced, learn as you go. Proceed step by step with easy to follow instructions. What's more, the chapters are organized in such a way that you can skip a chapter or repeat another as desired.
- Illustrations - plentiful use of
screen illustrations to show you if you are on the right track.
- Layout - large sized book and large
print make it easy to read.
The Studio Visual Steps Authors
The Studio Visual Steps team of authors consists of different professionals, all thoroughly experienced in their subject field.